August 27, 2010

Blockbuster Will File For Bankruptcy


So it looks like the mighty rental giant is about to hear it's own swan song. Blockbuster will file for Chapter 11 next month. This is the second large American rental chain (MovieGallery) to suffer from the expansive VOD and online market (NetFlix, Redbox). So what does this mean to the average consumer? It means the company could be sold off or retooling it's resources. Basically closing down a majority of it's outlets and focusing on the other rental markets. It's doubtful Blockbuster will go quietly into the night so I don't expect it will die off. I give my support to all those effected by this shakeup even more so the ground level employees who will be taking the brunt of this.

I remember when Blockbuster moved into my neighbourhood destroying my love affair with my local Jumbo Video outlet. I knew the owners growing up from playing baseball with their children. There was something magical about knowing the people who owned/ran the store and how they made it feel like being in theater lobby every time you walked in. The place would be covered with new posters, standees and free popcorn. I'm not sure I'll ever have that feeling again most likely because I'm jaded or it's a different time. I really do hope independent video stores take back the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment