September 25, 2010

How Marvel Should Approach The SHIELD Film: PART VI [Nick Fury]

In this installment I'll be covering both Nick Fury and what I'd like to see in the SHIELD film itself. While the other solo films will likely be contemporary the Fury film could be open-ended jumping between both present time and WWII events. Of course unless this aspect of Fury's life is told in Captain America it's likely we could also be introduced to the Howling Commandos.

FURY: I would hope tht Fury film would actually be set during WWII. I doubt this will happen because of the cost of period film. Yet I doubt we'll see enough of the WWII era characters in Captain America. It's expected that Rogers will be the focus of the movie. Mainly I'd like to see the Howling Commandos fighting Nazis and HYDRA. Even if it's only in the introduction of opening credits I'd like to see the on screen origin of Fury. From there on I don't really mind seeing Nick's adventures in the present. My only problem with Nick Fury solo film is that it could negate the purpose of having a SHIELD film. If I had a say the Fury origin would be included into the SHIELD film itself.


SHIELD: Super prisons and the helicarrier should be present if they aren't already shown in Avengers. I'd also like to see SHIELD still portrayed as the ghost-like organization covering their tracks at all costs. I'm not too concerned about cameos I could careless if Cap, Thor, Banner or Stark show up in the film. To be honest I feel anyone but Rogers showing up could be distracting to the audience. Giving the impression this is another Avengers film which it shouldn't be. I do however believe that new characters like Black Panther and Iron Fist should be considered. HYDRA should be the big baddie of the film and should be hellbent on world domination/destruction. Extensive futuristic technology and weapons should also be used perhaps provided by Stark Industries.

MOVIE INFLUENCES: Depending on what time periods the story takes place. The contemporary scenes I'd like to see something like True Lies. If Fury or SHIELD ends up using more WWII events I'd expect references to movies like The Dirty Dozen, Saving Private Ryan, Kelly's Heroes and Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. While Captain America is taking more cues from films like Indiana Jones and The Rocketeer. I expect the Fury origin could be a little more gritty and exploitative in nature.



No comments:

Post a Comment