February 6, 2013

Edgar Wright Talks Delaying ANT-MAN To Learn More Special Effects Skills


While promoting his upcoming film The World's End writer/director Edgar Wright spoke to IGN about the long development process for Ant-Man. The film was finally announced to be the first film in Marvel's Phase Three with a release date of November 2015. Being the first film post-Avengers 2 there will be high expectations for it to deliver the goods. He also mentions delaying the film so he could learn more about special effects while making Scott Pilgrim and World's End. So he wouldn't overwhelming and not prepared for the effects heavy Ant-Man.


"It’s a way of doing a superhero film within another genre. I wanted to tell an origin tale in a slightly different way. It’s part of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it also feels like its own piece." 

"I’ve been collaborating with [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige] during the whole of that cycle. I think people have always assumed… ‘Oh why is it taking so long to make?’ Part of it is because I wanted to make two other movies first. I wanted to make World’s End… me and Simon were very keen to make it and it felt like it was unfinished business and we wanted to wrap up the trilogy. The script came together really fast. Well not really fast, but it came together at a certain point where it was like ‘I really want to do this next.’" 

"But to be honest, the later I do it, it feels like I could learn more, especially about special effects. It’s a big effects movie, so I’m pleased to go into it having done Scott Pilgrim and The World’s End because you’re always learning more about that side." 

"I hope that at some point we’ll be able to show that at some venue all finished. Because obviously at Comic-Con we showed it unfinished. All done it looks really good."



While fans might be expecting Honey, I Shrunk The Kids meets a Marvel film, that won't the case. Edgar has mentioned previously the film will be a high-tech spy film. Think of a team of S.H.I.E.L.D agents Mission: Impossible-style using Pym's amazing suits and you'll have a better idea of what is in store for audiences. The unfinished test footage shown Comic-Con could end-up being attached to Iron Man 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment